Monday, October 5, 2009

A Farewell to...

Blogging? well, for the past couple weeks, I have been without internet/TV in my new apartment. I went through several stages of "life without" including: recognizing I could not live without, coping with my inability to live without, and getting over my need to be constantly connected/entertained. This new found freedom has even left me able to leave my cell phone IN THE OTHER ROOM for extended periods of time, without incidence. (since you are wondering, I am currently blogging from my work computer!)

I have found several things to fill the internet/TV time slots, much to my enjoyment. #1 organizing stuff (this is extremely helpful considering the recent move, and my need to do it anyway). #2 straightening my hair- great time filler. #3 reading books. I never seem to have the time or energy to read, but without internet and TV, I have already read 1 and a half books in the past few days. Go figure!

Book Review
A Farewell to ArmsI started to watch this movie the other day on my seven inch hand held screen, and about twenty minutes into it, I turned it off! It was a really good story (plus old movies are great) and I suddenly desired to read the book before finishing the movie!

I read this book in less than two days, it took me approximately ten hours. After the first 5 or 6 hours I was sort of disgusted with men in general, and when I walked down the street I couldn't help but judge everyone of that gender I happened across. At the end of the book, I felt beat down and broken hearted. Who would willfully subject themselves to reading such a sad sad sad (and at times, disturbing) story? While I did feel sad after reading this book, I also felt (and feel) affected in a way. I've avoided reading these types of books my entire life, and just stuck to entertaining science fiction novels. But this book, and the one I'm currently reading, and how they look into the human soul and honestly portray how people really are is so interesting. The way Hemmingway portrayed the damaging impact of war on those involved was very well done. His imagery was very good also.

I tried to watch the rest of the movie last night, but now our DVD player appears to have retired. Oh well, onto the next book!

1 comment:

Courtney and Matt said...

My cell phone is ALWAYS in the other room, not on purpose, but I guess after living for a year without one I rather enjoy not always being reachable!

And way to go on the book reading! Especially Hemingway. I have recently started reading the new Dan Brown novel - I'll let you know how it is!