Friday, January 23, 2009

Very interesting...

Tom Hanks Apologizes for Calling Mormon Support of Prop 8 'Un-American'

I didn't even know this happened in the first place, but I saw this article and thought I would post it. Click on the above link to see the full article on People.com

Below is Tom Hanks apology, and I think it was very nice.

Last week, I labeled members of the Mormon church who supported California's Proposition 8 as "un-American." I believe Proposition 8 is counter to the promise of our Constitution; it is codified discrimination. But everyone has a right to vote their conscience – nothing could be more American. To say members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints who contributed to Proposition 8 are "un-American" creates more division when the time calls for respectful disagreement. No one should use "un- American" lightly or in haste. I did. I should not have.
Sincerely,
Tom Hanks.

I very much agree with his viewpoint that calling anyone "un-American" for their opinion "creates more division when the time calls for respectful disagreement."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Agreed! The most he can do is apoligize and we should accept it and move on.

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness he issued this apology. I am a Mormon who voted NO on Prop 8 and his words totally bothered me, nontheless. People keep focusing on the Mormon vote- which was a small percentage of the yes vote, when more than 50% of CA voted yes. People are always looking for someone to BLAME.