Friday, September 21, 2007

Canibals of the Sea

Today I was looking at the National Geographic website, checking out current science news, when I ran across a startling video clip of Killer Whales. Killer Whales aren't actually whales, but the largest member of the Dolphin family.

They might as well be sharks, and that seal might as well be a scuba diver! I don't like 'em, and occasionally dream they're going to eat me.

Not so sure I'd want to be that guy... then again, Shamu (and yes, that is Shamu) is just a giant puppy, right?

Click here to see how Killer Whales got their name...

(if you're too lazy to look at the video clip, it's of a group of Killer Whales killing a massive California Grey Whale and it's calf... it is shocking.)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Once I saw a scary movie where a killer whale was seeking revenge on these people who caught his wife and they strung her up on a boat and a baby whale fell out of her under developed (I know- ick). And eventually the whale attacked their beach house on stilts and bit of both of this one girl's legs. I myself am afraid of big cats- like lions. I have persistent nightmares about lions.

Anonymous said...

I watched the video. :( I did not like it one bit. that was so evil of those big orca whale killers.

Nancy said...

Killer whales don't scare me, although I must admit that I occasionally still wonder what's under my bed! Thank goodness for magic covers. Do you suppose they would work with killer whales?

Elizabeth said...

have you ever seen "orca"? = SCARY!!

Michael-Ann said...

Shamu will never seem so innocent to me again! I'm irrationally terrified of spiders! Once I was folding laundry in the living room and saw a spider on the ceiling across the room crawling towards my gen'l. direction. I told Chris to get it but he thought I was being a little silly because it was a small spider. I kept an eye on it but kept my mouth closed. Then I noticed something move on the wall about 5 feet away from me. ANOTHER SPIDER!! I BURST into tears and started hyperventilating! I knew they couldn't hurt me but I felt like they were ganging up on me! Needless to say, Chris saved the day-finally!